My Top 10 lists go through revises and revises and...revises. It's never complete until maybe a year or two afterwards. And some movies fly all around, never finding a secure spot. Like Boyhood. It's a fantastic film, and I believed nothing would top it this year. But something has. And I believe more will as we reach these final months of the year. In my Boyhood review, I said it had become one of my favorite films. And yeah, in a way it had, but not Top 50 worthy. It's a memorable, beautiful film, but it will get buried, and I know it.



Before I go into more, here's my current top 10...

1) Gone Girl
2) Boyhood
3) X-Men: Days of Future Past
4) Edge of Tomorrow
5) Locke
6) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
7) The Lego Movie
8) The Raid 2
9) Captain America: The Winter Solider
10) Guardians of the Galaxy

Honorable Mentions: The Grand Budapest Hotel, Enemy, Under the Skin

Now I saw Gone Girl last night, so it's fresh in my mind, and it's the only thing I have been thinking about since. It's simply amazing. Not flawless, I've learned to not overstate my opinions, but it's about as slick as can be.

David Fincher is my all-time favorite director. His favorite films of mine are, in order: Zodiac, The Social Network and Se7en. And Gone Girl is next. It's just fantastic, all across the board. Nothing lacks, Fincher is only getting stronger. I cannot wait to see this again (and again (AND again)).

I did read the book, and I do plan on writing something on book adaptations so I won't get into that just now.

Two things that absolutely stood out for me was this film's editing and score; they're something new. I have never seen a movie edited this way; its use of fades and quick cuts are mouthwatering somehow. Kirk Baxter is a genius. The score is interesting and grabs your attention, as well. It adds a whole new layer of suspense and proves, once again, how effective film scores can be. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are 3-for-3 in Fincher's filmography.

Affleck, Pike and everyone else are just flat out amazing in it, with Pike being the standout. No doubt she'll be a popular nominee next February. I was also very pleased with Tyler Perry, who couldn't have been better as the lawyer.

Gone Girl is definitely the best film of the year so far, and I know it'll stay up there by the end. I won't forget how many times my jaw dropped, even though I knew what was going to happen. The film just took charge and never doubted itself. It was confident, collected and more than smart. One that leaves you addicted and wanting more, a common occurrence when watching a David Fincher film.

I'm hoping to start writing a lot more on here, we'll see how that goes.

Have a great weekend!